Last year, just in time for new years' eve, I wrote the 2010 redux. I didn't do that this year, mostly because I spent most of my last days before 2012 painting a fence and was way too exhausted! I will though. I promise. I know many people like to think about the new year and the year past as the 31st of December approaches, but not me. I find I like to live out the last few days of the year to my best and savour every moment, and leave reflection to the delightful and inevitable New Years Day holiday and the first few days of the year before the hustle and bustle begins.
I don't make new years resolutions, never have, but I do have a few things I'd like to do, that vastly improve my quality of life. Some are simple and easily achievable, and others are more intangible but I'd like to remind myself to keep at them.
Things I started in 2011 and would like to continue:
- making fruit bags once a week so we have fruit every day
- hiding vegetables in everything I cook, as well as vegetables at most meals
- investing in making our house a home
- looking after myself and ensuring I always feel tip-top
- composting, worm farming, gardening, and living more eco-friendly
- listening to my body and believing it when it says it's at its limits
- keeping our home better organised and functional
- enjoying dancing for myself more and feeling passionate about it again, and feeling like a GOOD dancer again
- living more slowly and meaningfully rather than running around like a crazed lady
- becoming more sure of what I want and need, and not being afraid to ask for them
- understanding the power of my community and seeing its wonderment, rather than dwelling on its shortcomings
Some things I haven't started/been able to do and want to do in 2012:
- eat salmon once a week
- taking a walk in the evening with S on my non-dance night of the week
- putting up photos of the people I love everywhere in the house
- live painkiller-free
- drink 2 litres of water a day
- be less of a hermit and more ready to face each day
- rekindle past friendships that this injury caused me to let go (I just went through a long phase of NOT COPING).
- take more photos
- take a trip to a significant dance event overseas and dance my head off
- also - become the best dancer I've ever been - determined to get faster and better than I was... slowly
- wear little to no black
- wear something different each day to keep me feeling pretty
- be free of my injury (24 month end of prognosis is in August 2012)
- be a better friend, daughter, sibling, girlfriend
The 2012 stuff is mostly very functional things to make life better. I find that as long as I live the best life I can everyday, I'm a pretty happy person at the end of each year when I reflect, and growth is inevitable. "Just Be Better" is a good one - and one I like to remember for most things. So rather than make resolutions about emotions, I just try to be better every day. And I'll find that 2012 was a year of growth, yet again.
You know the saying "dress for the job you want"? Well that's my everyday goal, but not in dressing - instead, I try to make every decision and live each day like I'm that intangible amazing woman I wanted to be when I was a kid - inspiring, glamorous, talented, visionary, intelligent, witty, tall, tan, young, lovely. "What would future Sharon do? What would that amazing woman do?" And then I try to do it, not always successfully.
And hopefully, one day, I'll feel like her. That woman I want to be. It may not be in 2012, but I'll sure try.
What thoughts do you have on 2012?